Thursday 24 May 2012

Unexpected fish!

That's not a phrase you hear often, is it!

An email landed in my inbox today from a colleague who only works a couple of days a week, saying that she'd bought some bream from the (excellent) fishmonger down the road from the office, but had forgotten to take them home with her, and would anyone like them? So three of us nabbed a fish each, and this is what I did with mine...
The easiest thing to do would have been to bake the fish in the oven, but as the great British weather has decided that this week it's summertime I thought it was too hot to turn the oven on (I know, last week I was moaning about the rain making my veg box soggy and this week it's too hot...!) so I cooked my bream in a pan with just a tiny bit of oil. I had some beetroot and some very elderly watercress in the fridge from the aforementioned veg box, so I shaved off slices of the beetroot with a peeler and left them for a few minutes to marinade in a little bit of balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, and then I made a sort of watercress pesto with toasted sunflower seeds, garlic and a bit of olive oil. It all went very nicely together, I thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...