Sunday 25 March 2012

Sunshine and chocolate pie!

It's been a lovely weekend. British Summer Time arrived in style, with wall-to-wall sunshine and lovely warm weather. It feels like spring has really arrived! Personally I'd like it if spring could bugger off again for the day next Sunday, because I hate running in warm weather (yesterday's 12-miler was utterly hellish and very slow) and I'd like to not die halfway round the Reading half marathon, but for the time being I'm enjoying the sun!
My sister also came to stay this weekend, and as usual I wanted to find a suitably delicious Suze-friendly recipe to make. Especially this time, as I hadn't seen her since November! I eventually decided to have a go at this chocolate pie from Post Punk Kitchen and I'm really glad I did, because it was brilliant. I made my own buttery biscuit base from 1 1/2 cups of biscuit crumbs (I used a pack of Doves Farm hazelnut and orange cookies and a few TruFree digestives as there weren't quite enough cookies in the pack) and 1/4 cup of dairy-free spread, which I melted and mixed with the biscuit crumbs before pressing it into a 9" non-stick shallow cake pan (I don't have a pie dish that size) and baking it in the oven for about 10 minutes. Then I made the chocolate filling as per the recipe, except I used Alpro hazelnut drink instead of almond milk.

We were SO impressed with the results! The hazelnut biscuits were perfect for the base, and the hazelnut milk in the chocolate filling made it taste ever so slightly Nutella-like. Yum yum! You absolutely would not know it was gluten- and dairy-free. It was amazing, if I do say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...