Thursday 15 March 2012

Gnoc 'n' broc 'n' cheeze...

The veg box cooking continues! I was trying to work out what to do with my lovely bag of purple sprouting broccoli, and then this recipe for gnocchi and cheese with PSB turned up on my Google Reader! How fortuitous - I've had a vacuum pack of gnocchi sitting in the fridge for months! The only sticking point was that, although I love and adore cheese, I can't keep it in the house because I will just end up eating great slabs of the stuff. Mmm, cheese...

Anyway, I decided to give it a go, and I set about finding a cheese sauce alternative. And that's how I ended up with my second recipe from Oh She Glows in a week - the amazing five-ingredient vegan cheeze sauce. I had all the ingredients except Dijon mustard (I'm a bit scared of mustard) so I decided to go for it, and I'm so glad I did.
It was ridiculously easy to make, and really tasty. Did it taste like cheese? No, of course not. Was it creamy and delicious and perfect with the broccoli and gnocchi? Yes. I even added the suggested amount of mustard, and the mustardy flavour went amazingly well with the broccoli.
Doesn't that look lovely? I steamed the broccoli in the microwave (I just put it in a plastic takeaway tub with a splash of water and microwaved it for about a minute and a half) and cooked the gnocchi as per the packet instructions, and then I mixed the broc and gnoc with the sauce and baked it all in the oven until it was golden brown and bubbling...
And it was beautiful. I could easily have eaten the entire dish, such is my greediness, but I managed to restrain myself and put half away in the fridge for tomorrow's lunch. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...